Saturday, September 5, 2015

My Field of Study

Source: https://www.flickr.com/photos/usnavy/6811745567/
Source:http://www.bls.gov/oes/2010/may/chart_08.png
The field of study I am currently interested in is Biomedical Engineering, I don't currently know which sub-division though. I am currently leaning towards either biomaterials or biomechanics. The definition of biomedical engineering as provided by dictionary.com is the application of engineering techniques to the understanding of biological systems and to the development of therapeutic technologies and devices. One of the main things that draw me to this field is the idea that the devices I design can have a direct positive impact on other people. Also, the idea that I could be making cyborgs also directly appeals to me for a much more self-centered reason.  People who pursue the field are usually employed in a wide range of sectors as shown by the 2010 Bureau of Labor Statics chart in this blog post. As far as leaders in the field go this hyperlink will take you to the main page of a society that provides some very useful information, connections, and three separate journals related to biomedical engineering. another leading society in the field is http://aimbe.org/.  Moving on, some good biomedical journals out there are the Journal of Biomimetics, Biomaterials, and Tissue Engineering, Nature Biotechnology, and Journal of Biomechanics. The following hyperlink leads to a useful website that ranks scholarly journals.

No comments:

Post a Comment