Saturday, December 5, 2015

Graded Blog Post 37: Audience and Invention for Reflective Essay

Here are my answers to the five questions asked on page 249 in A Student's Guide to First-Year Writing 36th Edition.
Source: https://www.flickr.com/photos/peteoshea/5600161625/


  • What topic do I want to discuss with my readers? What do I want them to understand about the topic?
    • The main topic I want to discuss with my audience is the change that both my writing and writing process have underwent over the semester. I want them to understand that there has been a change in my writing capability over the semester that has been for the better.
  • Who is my primary audience? Who is my secondary audience?
    • My primary audience for this paper will be Dr. Bell, since she is the one I'm trying to convince with this paper.
    • The secondary audience would be my fellow classmates. They are the secondary audience, since they too will be the only people likely to read this essay. Some of them at least.
  • What do my audiences already know or believe about my topic?
    • What my main audience knows or believes depends entirely on what Dr. Bell remembers of my papers. The important things to remember would primarily be common errors and strengths in the papers. In general the vast majority of the classmates would have no idea what my past papers were about, let alone their contents.
  • How will I organize and develop my ideas to make them convincing to these readers.
    • The way I plan on organizing the reflective essay is to first quote my previous works to show the error/strength. After that I would explain the quote to highlight what was good and/or bad. I would then give a rewrite, if necessary, and explain the rewrite. I believe this is an effective way to show the change my writing capabilities have undergone.
  • How will I establish my ethos (relationship and tone) with my readers?
    • The main way I plan on doing this is to not sound like a spoiled brat or a whiner. I want to present myself as a calm person that is giving a rational analysis on how I write and what I had written.  The reason is that I believe this would be an appropriate tone considering that the primary audience is Dr. Bell.

No comments:

Post a Comment